Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mike Martello passes away

Mike Martello with 苗刀 Miáo Dāo

Mike Martello. Where do I start?
Died this morning the 2nd of June 2009.

In his life he won an obscene amount of medals for forms and fighting, ran his own school in Belgium (half the world away from New York & the land of his birth), spoke fluent Chinese and ran a yearly Beijing Chinese Martial Arts Camp that was growing stronger in numbers every year.

When I first met Mike he demonstrated how much you can achieve with persistant practice and since then, he helped me appreciate the Chinese Fighting Arts in a much broader sense. Also, with every word, he reminded me of the immense value of those arts.

I will treasure the training I did with Mike, and toast an antique glass of Port to him (as soon as I can get one) and recall the glass or two of such that he and I drained last September. 乾杯 (Gān Bēi)

I can’t believe I won’t see him again.

Cherish your teachers guys.

Mike and I in 2007

No comments: